When it comes to environmentally-friendly gift ideas, you always have to choose between adding to commercial waste with overpackaged store-bought items or something more eco-friendly.
Plenty of Environmentally-Friendly Gifts
And even though some store-bought items are eco-friendlier these days, there are plenty of DIY eco-friendly gift ideas that will make the recipient feel special.
More Opportunities to Personalize
Homemade or zero waste gifts can often have a more personalized and thoughtful appeal to them, too.
You have to think about the person’s likes and preferences instead of opting for generic chocolates or flowers. Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with those items if they’re sustainable and the individual prefers them.
Use the list of 55 environmentally-friendly gift ideas below to come up with the perfect eco-friendly present for your special person.
- 55 Environmentally-Friendly Gift Ideas
- Other Eco-Friendly Gift-Giving Tips
55 Environmentally-Friendly Gift Ideas
These eco-friendly gifts suggestions will give you plenty to choose from for the right occasion:
Eco-Friendly Gifts for The Foodie
For the foodie on your shopping list, give something edible:
- Homemade candy
- Homemade cookies
- Restaurant gift certificate
- Homemade jams, jellies, or pickles
- Jar of trail mix or nuts
- A cake or brownie mix in a jar
- Infused oils
- Homemade salsa and corn chips
Low-Waste Gifts for Children
For the younger people on your list, give a fun eco-friendly item:
- A day out with a fun activity like ice-skating, sledding, the park, the beach, or horseback riding
- Homemade playdough
- Homemade candies
- Homemade crayons
- Homemade cocoa, popcorn, and a movie
- Picking out an item at the thrift store
- Handmade wooden toys
Environmentally-Friendly Gifts for Mom
Celebrating your mother on her birthday or Mother’s Day doesn’t have to create waste:
- Homemade lotion
- Vintage jewelry
- Package-free soap
- Homemade bath bombs
- DIY eco-friendly shampoo
- Cleaning service
- Tickets for a night out
- Reusable makeup accessories
Eco-Friendly Gifts for Dad
As for mom, you can also celebrate dad with eco-friendly gift ideas:
- A digital magazine subscription
- Quality time with their favorite activity
- Homemade shaving cream
- A safety razor
- Lessons for something they’d like to try
- A charity donation in their name
- Plant a tree in their name
- Gym membership
- Personalized coupons
Environmentally-Friendly Gifts for the Gardener
For the person on your list who has a green thumb:
- Compost bin or pail
- Quality garden tools
- Rags for cleaning tools, etc.
- Eco-friendly garden ornaments
- Books about green living
Eco-Friendly Gifts for the Homebody
For the person who enjoys making their home more eco-friendly:
- Stainless steel straws
- Beeswax reusable wraps
- Cloth napkins or handkerchiefs
- Plastic-free scrub brush
- Reusable bowl covers
- Stainless steel food container
- Reusable shopping bags or totes
- Reusable lint brush
- Un-paper towels
- Bamboo cutting board
- Reusable bamboo cutlery
Eco-Friendly Gifts for Comfort and Coziness
For people on your shopping list who enjoy feeling comfy and cozy:
- A homemade quilt
- A massage gift certificate
- Crocheted socks, mittens, or blankets
- Knit socks, hats, mittens, or scarves
- Homemade cocoa in a jar
- Homemade soup mix kit
Use these environmentally-friendly gift ideas to treat the special people in your life in a way that won’t cause damage to the planet’s resources. These types of presents are often safer for you and your family, too.
Other Eco-Friendly Gift-Giving Tips
Here are some other eco-friendly gift-giving tips to help you in your efforts to give a present without harming the environment:
- Let go of the idea that re-gifting and secondhand items are somehow not acceptable.
- Make sure to wrap or present the gift in a way that is eco-friendly.
- Reflect on the person’s likes and preferences to make it personalized.
- For commercial products, shop at local and sustainable, eco-friendly businesses.
- Remember that experiences and activities are just as appreciated as material items.
- Most people just want time and attention with friends and loved ones.
You can give a thoughtful gift without having to spend a bundle or indulge in products that are harmful to the environment and society. Take a few minutes to go through the list, think about the individual, and come up with an idea that fits the occasion.