If you’re looking for an eco-friendly laundry detergent in Canada, you have two options.
You can create your own laundry cleaner or you can choose to buy one from a company that sells eco-friendly laundry detergent strips, which eliminates disposing of plastic jugs.
If you want to do a DIY laundry detergent, we have a recipe and instructions below.
But if you’re looking for a more convenient commercial product, there is an eco-friendly laundry detergent company called Tru Earth here in Canada.
(Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. See Policy.)
Tru Earth – An Eco-Friendly Canadian Company
If you don’t have the time or inclination to make a DIY laundry detergent, Tru Earth is one company that has the solution for your eco-friendly laundry detergent needs.
They’ve developed eco-friendly laundry strips that are packaged in a plastic-free compostable cardboard sleeve. And, the sleeve serves as a mailing container to further cut down packaging and waste.
Plus, they have other environmentally-friendly products you can use around your home for a green cleaning routine.
Tru Earth is an Eco-Friendly Canadian Company
Tru Earth is a Canadian company that was started by 3 co-founders from British Columbia, who wanted to eliminate all those plastic laundry detergent bottles that have to be recycled or end up in landfills. And, it cuts down on all that transportation fuel required to ship those plastic jugs.
Tru Earth eco-friendly laundry strips are manufactured in Canada under strict regulations in a state-of-the-art laboratory. They offer the assurance that they don’t cut corners with their products.
The Ingredients in Tru Earth Laundry Strips
Along with being in a strip format and being delivered in eco-friendly packaging, the ingredients are another feature that makes Tru Earth laundry strips a green product.
The ingredients list taken from the website includes:
- Vegetable Glycerin: plant-derived from soy softener
- Starch: plant-derived from maize biodegradability booster
- PVA (polyvinyl alcohol): biodegradable supporting matrix
- Potassium Sorbate: Food grade preservative
- Light Mineral Oil: Used in manufacturing as a processing aid. (not an active product ingredient)
- Cocamido propyl betaine: coconut oil-based, biodegradable amphoteric surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam booster
- Sodium Gluconate: plant-derived and food-grade, biodegradable water softener that prevents soil from resettling on fabric after it has been removed during washing
- Lauryl dimethyl amine oxide: plant-derived, biodegradable non-ionic surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam stabilizer
- Sulfonic acids, C14-16-alkane hydroxy and C14-16-alkene, sodium salts: biodegradable surfactant (cleaning agent)
- Glycereth cocoate: plant-derived and food-grade, biodegradable water softener
- Caprylyl Glucoside, Octyl Glucoside: non-ionic surfactants (cleaning agents)
- Fragrance oil blend (not used in Fragrance-Free): natural essential oils and synthetic ingredients
- Residual Water
- Tru Earth Eco-Strips are palm oil free & gluten-free
Using a product that is free from harmful chemicals is going to be a big win for the Earth’s resources and the health of the environment.
Tru Earth Laundry Strips Certifications
Along with the natural ingredients, Tru Earth laundry strips are manufactured with an impressive list of certifications, which include (from the website):
- Free of added dyes
- Free of chlorine bleach
- Free of 1,4-dioxane, as certified by independent laboratory tests
- Readily biodegradable in accordance with OECD 310D
- Hypoallergenic, certified by independent dermatologists
- Vegan: no animal-based ingredients or testing on animals by us or our ingredient suppliers
Eco-friendly certification is an important step allowing companies to reassure their customers that they take being eco-friendly seriously.
Tru Earth Laundry Strip Options
The laundry strips come with the options of:
- A variety of package sizes for different amounts of loads
- Laundry strips for baby clothes
- Fragrance-free laundry strips
- Fresh linen scent laundry strips
The Tru Earth line of laundry strips products is developing over time to include many convenient products for your whole family’s laundry needs.
Other Tru Earth Eco-Friendly Products
With the green laundry strips receiving an enthusiastic welcome from Canadians and other consumers, Tru Earth has gone on to develop other convenient and eco-friendly products for your laundry and cleaning needs.
Other eco-friendly Tru Earth products include:
- Lemon fresh multi-surface cleaner strips in various amounts
- Reusable stainless steel straws
- Cotton mesh produce and grocery bags
- Beeswax food wraps
- Bamboo makeup remover pads
- Reusable bamboo cutlery set
You can shop all Tru Earth products on their website. They have excellent products for eco-conscious Canadians and other consumers.
Shopping at Tru Earth
Along with the excellent quality of their products, Tru Earth offers other shopping conveniences worth checking out:
- At a reduced price, you can order laundry strips on subscription for various delivery schedules.
- Shipping is free with Canada Post Standard Mail delivery.
- You can get a full refund if you notify them within 7 days of receiving the delivery and return the product within 30 days.
- The laundry strips can last up to 3 years.
The whole shopping experience at Tru Earth is about being eco-friendly and as easy for you as possible so that everyone can do their part for the environment with convenience.
Next, we’ll address other eco-friendly laundry detergent strips available in Canada.
Other Detergent Strips Available in Canada
If you do an online search, especially on Amazon.ca, you’ll likely find other eco-friendly laundry detergent strips that you can buy in Canada. And, they may even be cheaper per load of laundry.
However, we did research and still choose to promote and support Tru Earth as our top choice for an eco-friendly laundry detergent.
Why We Recommend Tru Earth
The reason was a simple one. We could not find enough clear information about the other companies or the process for producing their laundry strips. It didn’t satisfy our questions about their products.
Tru Earth is Very Transparent
Knowing that Tru Earth is very transparent about their company and how their laundry strips are manufactured makes us feel more comfortable about the quality of the product and what they stand for in terms of the health of the environment.
Of course, the choice is definitely your own to make. And, we fully acknowledge that the other detergent strips still eliminate the use of plastic jugs.
But we wanted to clarify why we choose to recommend Tru Earth over the other choices available to Canadians.
Next, we’ve included a DIY laundry powder recipe if you prefer to go that route.
DIY Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent
This recipe for a DIY laundry powder will help you keep your clothes clean and protect the environment.
Homemade Eco-Friendly Laundry Powder
- 1 cup (180g) baking soda
- 1 cup (180g) washing soda
- 5-ounce (140g) castile soap bar
- A bowl
- A storage container
- Grate the bar of castile soap as finely as you can.
- In a bowl, mix the grated soap with the baking and washing sodas.
- Put the mixture in a reusable storage container.
- You can use around 2 to 3 tablespoons for a load, adjusting for the size of the load.
Using a homemade laundry detergent and washing in cold water will go a long way to being eco-friendly with your laundry routine. After a few loads, you’ll figure out how much works best for your laundry.
Whether you have the time to make a DIY laundry detergent or choose to buy a commercial product from a company such as Tru Earth, you’ll be able to find an eco-friendly laundry detergent in Canada.
And, you can be confident that you’re putting the health of your family and the planet first with a green laundry routine.